FAQ    Suchen    Mitglieder    Teams    Registrieren    Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen    Login  
Neuen Beitrag schreiben   Auf Beitrag antworten    Live for Speed Forum -> Allgemeines um Live For Speed -> Stand der Dinge - Entwicklerberichte
Seite 1 von 1 Vorheriges Thema anzeigen | Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
Offline Zabas

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 12:38 Stand der Dinge - Entwicklerberichte
Antworten mit Zitat  

Scawen, 2.Juni 09

Zitat:
Had a few minutes spare to read some posts here.

Once again I see some people are really getting angry again, and that is a pity.

I have said we are working on things but of course that does not calm some people down. The problem is that we are working on some things that will be released at some point, and some things that may or may not be released (experimental). But experience has taught us to just keep quiet when we are developing things, experimental or not.

Why?

In the case of things we are developing that will almost certainly be released, we would really love to tell the community. And thousands of forum or website readers might be pleased about that. But in time, a few people (maybe a hundred or so) will begin to become angry and frustrated, if for example we were unable to reach our release estimate. Just look at the Scirocco. While we wait for me to improve things that will improve the Scirocco, we can see hundreds of posts of anger and frustration, so we are constantly reminded, never to post information about a future release, until we are 99.9% certain that we can make the release date. We made the Scirocco announcement when we were only say... 95% certain we could make the release date, and this has caused the most amazing amount of grief. We have only ourselves to blame, and a direct apology does not fix the mess we caused by this announcement. Most community members accepted our apology but you can just read the forum to see hundreds of attacks on our work rate, secrecy, rudeness and our general bad attitude.

In the other case, where we are working on things that are in an experimental stage, and may or may not turn out to be released in the end, it's even more important not to say anything. Because this would just raise expectations and excitement, that is highly likely to turn to anger once again, when some weeks of experimental work may possibly turn out to be unused in the end.

In the past, we did write development progress reports on our website, but sometimes we had to make changes, drop an idea here or there before release, sometimes adding something else instead. Sometimes the thing we were working on did not get released, but the backlash for such a thing is just too much.

Face to face I could say to someone, "this is what I am working on". And later I could say "I couldn't finish that, for this and that reason, anyway this is what we have come up with". There would be some kind of acceptance or discussion about that. But on the internet there are some angry people around! And they make it very very clear that they are very very angry! It really is a minority of people... most people out there reading the forums behave online just the same way as in real life, with some manners, and normal human respect. But some people really lose it and unfortunately they do so, very long and very hard. So in the end, it turns out that the best way forward is just to keep on working, ignore the angry posts and so on, remind ourselves, that is just a small minority of people, and just keep going. The less information we reveal about our development plans, the less there will be to moan about when something changes or we don't meet the expected release dates.

Even with all the arguments, moaning and anger about our apparent secrecy, it's still better to keep quiet, even though it would really be nice to be able to say things like "this is something we are working on, although we're not sure when it will be finished" or "we are taking a few weeks to experiment with this thing" for the sake of general interest. That really is what we used to do but experience has led us to where we are now. I don't think that will ever change, it won't be possible to go back to a time when we could give a lot more information about our plans. Because as the realism level goes up and up, it becomes harder and harder (and takes a lot more time) to make one small step. That is what we are doing, small steps, LFS goes forward a little bit more each year. It would be really great if we could work 10 times as fast or whatever, but we just have to go on at a sustainable rate, doing this work that we enjoy, and in the way that we want to work (not by moving into an office and employing people - that's not why we are doing this - and if anyone wants to do that you are very welcome to do so yourself - there are programmers and artists for hire and you can start up your own company).

Anyway, once again, we are working on things and expect some good releases this year!

--------------
Scawen, 3.Juni 09

Zitat:
Zitat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warper View Post
You keep on holding information longer and longer behind the scenes in the hope to blow everyone away again at the next release, i would say a very dangerous way of development.

I found your post quite interesting to read, but I'd just like to pick up on this sentence.

It's not that we hold back information in the hope of blowing people away with exciting new information in the next release.

It's just that we have learned not to give away information about what we are doing, or specify release dates unless what we have is already in a good enough state to release. Because we get a real whipping if we say that we hope (or plan, or expect) to release something and then it has to be cancelled. Or if we specify a release date then cannot make it, the backlash is just too much.

For those who say we should not worry about the small minority of angry guys. Remember they are very (overwhelmingly) vocal on the forums. If we do cancel something or miss a release date, dozens of threads will spring up with sometimes thousands of posts, you know the kind of thing, the angry posters, then the people who defend our decision, then the angry guys calling the defenders fanboys, then the people attacking the people who attacked us in the first place, these huge threads of arguments. It's not nice for the forum, it's not nice for the moderators.

It's just the way it is really, actually we are very close to the community, I do believe that most game developers are not actively involved on the forums, but we are and we have the test patch section as well.

We are human so we have to learn by our mistakes. We won't just make the same mistake over and over again. But we will still continue to give news of releases, when there are good results and definite things, specially when release dates are well known. But the development really does take longer and longer as we slowly get closer to reality, so research and development times get longer.

Hope you understand what I am saying, it's no big change. And I'm not writing here looking for solutions - I'm just explaining how it looks from a developer's viewpoint. But I do care about the community so I just have to make these posts every six months or every year or whatever when the rage starts bubbling over and we begin to be attacked by an increasing percentage of the community who believe we are millionaires and have deserted the community and are sitting on a beach in Barbados sipping Pina Coladas or whatever.

-----------------------------
Scawen 4.Juni 09

Zitat:
There isn't really a problem that needs to be solved. We just have to work on things and then release them. Anything we want to discuss, we will do so. No change there... all I was trying to say in previous posts is that we have learned to keep our plans to ourselves a bit more than in the past, because plans change, and when they change, there is disappointment.

Anyway, I will unsubscribe from this thread now because it is a distraction and I do have quite a few things to work on.

Quelle: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=57247

Sollte jmd. weitere Äußerungen von den Devs zur Entwicklung von LFS finden, dann kann das gerne hier hinzugefügt werden.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von Zabas am Fr 12.06.09 14:15, insgesamt 2-mal bearbeitet
Offline !ce.Soref
Matze

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 12:54 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Abgesehen davon, dass das schon knapp 2 Wochen alt ist steht der ganze Schmarrn auch im Testpatchthread. Deshalb tu ich mich grad schwer zu verstehen wozu dieser Thread eröffnet wurde?! Smilie
Offline FireMike15
Maik Paluch

Geburtstag: 16.5.1994
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 12:56 
Antworten mit Zitat  

S3 kommt irgendwann. In einem Weit entfernten Jahrhundert. Traurig
Offline kniLch Milch
Adrian Hempel

Geburtstag: 27.09.1988
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:00 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Der eine Flamethread reicht wohl nicht? Augenrollen
Offline D1ggA
Andy Schönig

Geburtstag: 09.06.1984
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:10 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Hauptsache im Vordergrund stehen... Einmal eine Laola für den Threadersteller und denn pls close und delete
Offline Tube||

Geburtstag: 7.5.1900
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:27 
Antworten mit Zitat  

D1ggA hat Folgendes geschrieben
Hauptsache im Vordergrund stehen... Einmal eine Laola für den Threadersteller und denn pls close und delete

sehe ich nicht so, find den Post eigentlich nicht schlecht.

Nicht jeder möchte das internationale Forum abbonieren, besonders im Moment wo nichts wichtiges mehr passiert.
Offline kniLch Milch
Adrian Hempel

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:30 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Scawen könnte ja auch mal mit Twittern anfangen... dann wären wir alle auf den neusten Stand. Sehr Glücklich
Offline !ce.Micha
Michael

Geburtstag: 1978
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:42 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Ich finde den Thread auch gut. Es liegt an EUCH, ob das Niveau erneut sinkt.
Offline marcione

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:49 
Antworten mit Zitat  

das mit dem twittern ist ne gute sache bestimmt. so jeden tag 2 zeilen. und alle sind up2date.

hier in zukunft solche posts zu sammeln ist sicher nicht schlecht für leute die nicht immer die test patch foren durchsehen.

MOIN
Offline !ce.Sir Winston
macht doch, was ihr wollt

Geburtstag: älter+als+Du.
Gesperrt
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 13:58 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Eine völlig neue Geschäftsidee. Das Geschäft mit dem Nichts. Man muß nur immer schön was versprechen, dann rollt der Rubel.

Wie wo anders schon beschrieben mit der Kirche. Wir warten schon seit 2000 Jahren auf Jesus 2.0. Derweil macht sich der Vatikan die Taschen voll.

Scavierkan. Der neu eingerichtete Dom (Haus) samt Papamobil (M3) steht schon bereit, um sich von den Jüngern huldigen zu lassen.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von !ce.Sir Winston am Fr 12.06.09 14:01, insgesamt 1-mal bearbeitet
Offline !ce.splattael
Pe Su

Geburtstag: 23.05.1949
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 14:00 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Twitter muuss nicht sein. Ein CSV|SVN|GIT|SCM-Commit-Log würde mir ja reichen Zwinker
Offline kniLch Milch
Adrian Hempel

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 14:05 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Er muss jede Pause und jeden arbeitschritt Twittern!!! Sehr Glücklich Sehr Glücklich Sehr Glücklich
Offline Zabas

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 14:08 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Es geht hier um Neuigkeiten rund um die Entwicklung von LFS.
Es soll kein Diskussionsthread sein, ob die Entwicklung schnell genug ist etc..

Leute, die nur manchmal im Forum vorbeischaun, können dann schnell sehn, wie der aktuelle Stand von LFS ist (zB anhand von Äußerungen der Entwickler).
Offline testfahrer

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 14:09 
Antworten mit Zitat  

!ce.Micha hat Folgendes geschrieben
Ich finde den Thread auch gut. Es liegt an EUCH, ob das Niveau erneut sinkt.

hab mich mit dem niveau schon abgefunden! Augenrollen
Offline Philipp N.

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 14:37 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Ich glaube der Thread war als ernsthafter Sammelthread für jüngste Ereignisse und Äußerungen was die Entwicklung von LFS betrifft gedacht. Aber sowas funktioniert hier ja anscheinend nicht mehr. Zu viele "Angry Guys" und Leute die gern tausend mal das selbe schreiben.
Offline zeGonzo

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 19:00 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Also Ich ( ein sehr oberflächlicher Leser) lese das zum ersten Mal und bedanke mich für diesen ersten Post

Irgendwo hat der Scawen ja recht. Aber mich nervts auch weiterhin das nichts passiert. Und dazu steh ich auch, dazu muss ich den Scawen nicht verstehen, es is einfach nur die Sache das nix passiert. Ich hab bestimmt schon 2 Wochen kein LFS mehr gezockt, es is einfach nur immer langweiliger geworden. Aber das is im Prinzip bei jedem Spiel so. Wir sind einfach nur verwöhnt durch das Entwicklungsprinzip von LFS. Wir sind es gewohnt das alle 3 Monate n Update gekommen ist, was das ganze immer etwas interessanter gemacht hat. Kommt n Jahr lang nix wird LFS wie jedes Spiel langsam langweilig. Is normal. Aber eigentlich is das ja wieder Schade weil LFS eigentlich das Spiel is was mir in meinem bisherigen Leben am meisten Spaß bereitet hat. Das "nix passiert" mit irgendwelchen Gründen, Vermutungen, Beschimpfungen zu verknüpfen is genauso unproduktiv wie einfach nur zu warten. Ändern kann man der Entwicklung zumindest an deren Geschwindigkeit sowieso nix.
Offline Hermann A.
aka CapCom

Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 19:27 
Antworten mit Zitat  

Mein vorschlag ... Ab dem 2 Post alles löschen und dann die gute Idee als solches vom Thread ersteller weiterführen lassen. Wenn Möglich ihn die Close und Open funktion für diesen Thread freischalten, damit er nach einem Eintrag den Thread zunächst schließen kann um Dumme Kommentare, wie hier wieder zu Lesen, ausschließen zu können...

Ich Danke für die Aufmerksamkeit und habe hiermit genug gemüllt.
Offline Joker
Mario Köhnke

Geburtstag: 07.03.1971
Beitrag Fr 12.06.09 20:50 
Antworten mit Zitat  

!ce.Sir Winston hat Folgendes geschrieben
Eine völlig neue Geschäftsidee. Das Geschäft mit dem Nichts. Man muß nur immer schön was versprechen, dann rollt der Rubel.

Das ist keine neue Idee, spätestens seit Bill Gates ist es üblich, zukünftig zu erwartende Produkte so früh wie möglich in den Himmel zu loben!

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:   
Neuen Beitrag schreiben   Auf Beitrag antworten    Live for Speed Forum -> Allgemeines um Live For Speed -> Stand der Dinge - Entwicklerberichte Alle Zeiten sind MESZ (Sommerzeit)

phpBB © phpBB Group

Impressum | Datenschutz